Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas music and holiday business

I absolutely love Christmas music! I get so excited to pull out my CDs and start singing along on Thanksgiving day. I also look forward to singing Christmas hymns in church for the month of December. If you asked me what my favorite Christmas songs are, I would probably say O Holy Night and Ave Maria. But my real favorite Christmas songs are All I Want for Christmas is You and I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas- these two make me laugh and want to sing along at the top of my lungs.

I don't want to use the word hate here- but there are a few Christmas songs that I do not like, not one bit. If these songs come on while I'm listening to the Christmas station on the radio or even on a CD that I love, I will skip them immediately. The offending songs are Little Drummer Boy and Do You Hear What I Hear. These songs drive me crazy! I'm pretty sure I hate them. Even when Josh Groban sang Little Drummer Boy on Oprah, I had to fast forward through it. I tried to like it, for Josh, but it couldn't be done.

My favorite Christmas CDs this year are Bing Crosby (this and every year) and James Taylor (just purchased). Close runner up is Squirrel Nut Zippers' Christmas album (you just can't beat Carolina Christmas- we're chillin' in our underwear). And then there's always Harry (Connick, Jr.) my Christmas music staple. Ahh- I guess I can't narrow it down to just one.

Some questions posed to readers- What is your favorite Christmas album? What is your favorite Christmas song? What is your real favorite Christmas song? Any Christmas songs you hate?

I was thinking today about how fast the Christmas season seems to go by every year. I always feel like I'm unable to do everything I want to during this season and therefore can't enjoy it to the fullest extent that I want to. I feel like I got a good start this year but now here a week before Christmas, I've sort of hit a slump. Maybe it's because I've been a bit incapacitated these past three days but I think it's mostly just that fact that I only really have one more week before Christmas is over. It just goes by too fast.

That's what I've been thinking about about today. Luckily, my ankle is feeling a lot better and I can even walk pretty well when it's wrapped up. So I'm going to try and get back to business tomorrow, the business of getting down with the Christmas season.

p.s. We Arizonans figured out how to make a real snowman...well Jon did, I took pictures.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

two words for a favorite album: THE ALSTONS. :) nuff said.

second, a song that is up there in the "throw the trash forever" bin...it's the one that ends the phrase with "too-ra-loo-ra-loo,(12345 minor) patah patah pan (45432)"....ever heard it? it makes boys in choirs squirm all over the world. I'll have to find a listening sample for you.

and finally, AS I TYPE (picture this..on second thought, DON'T picture this), Zane and his pops, freshly 'buck' from the showers, are running around singing "JINGLE BELLS JINGLE BELLS" at the top of their lungs...this might have topped the all-time eye brow raising Christmas song moments...

by the way, in my comments in jon's blog I made him the photographer of the snowman pic..although I'm sure you're a great paper writer too, my love.

no hat yet! I'll call today if the status changes...

that's certainly enough of ME today, wouldn't you say?

Carlie said...

Those are the exact same songs that drive me crazy, including also Feliz Navidad. I don't find it, but it's played about every hour since it's the only song in spanish. There's no verses, just the chorus over and over and over. The worst rendition of the songs i don't like would be at Dillards one year on the music rotation was "Do You Hear What I Hear" duet by Rosie O'Donnald and Elmo. Yikes.

Sarah said...

A duet by Rosie and Elmo can make anyone run and hide! I am a big fan of the "old" traditional Christmas songs like White Christmas, Have Yourslef a Merry Little Christmas, things like that. What drives me insane are people who try and write new songs for the season! Just stick to the classics!! Now, my favorite Christmas album(s) is (don't judge me for this!) is both of Neil Diamonds Christmas albums. I know, I know, what am I thinking! I was brought up on Neil Diamond and I was sucked in!! Blame my mother!

Marielle said...

I hate those songs too! I always skim them when it is on a CD. I am glad I am not the only one.

Marielle

jonstone said...

Sarah-- you have my full support on the Neil Diamond action. Too bad Tina will never let me get a Neilie-baby album in the house, let alone in the cd player. Here's a funny twist: Neil Diamond is Jewish.

Melissa said...

Sorry about your ankle! My all time favorite chirstmas song is "Have yourself a merry little christmas". Love it!

Sarah said...

Thanks Jon for your support!