Friday, November 5, 2010

they don't know what's coming...

Every year during parent-teacher conferences, I try really hard to keep my face blank as my childrens' teachers gush over how well-behaved my kids are in class and if they could just have a classroom full of my kids, their teaching life would be easier. I'm not kidding, this is exactly what I hear every time. Is this what other parents hear too, is this what the teachers say to everyone? I want to be proud, but my scepticism wins over. I politely say thank you each time and we move on, but I'm still left wondering. These perfect children they talk about, who are they? Why don't they live in my house?

In an attempt to get to the bottom of the situation, I asked Maryn yesterday (right after she had smacked Jonas over the head for touching her paper within 10 minutes of being home from school), "Your teacher told me that you are a very good and sweet girl who gets along with everyone in your class, why don't you act that way at home?"

"Because Mommy, at school I have someone (her teacher, I suppose) to focus on and there are rules I follow, so I'm good and I don't get in trouble."

Maybe it's just me, but I think she was asking me to create and enforce more rules in our home.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can make that happen.

3 comments:

Carlie said...

oh little girl. i have one like that too that can be very good when she WANTS to be.
i can't believe how blondie she looks now!

Lara Neves said...

I love this.

Mine are the same time. So devastated if they have to move their clip or something at school, but nothing I do seems to phase them.

Jonathan G.Thwaits said...

I think this means that your kids are really good compared to most kids the teacher sees. Teachers don't just say things to parents to get on our good sides but I know what you mean; about one of our kids, teachers can't sing praises enough however for another of our kids, it's a very different story. Running a tighter ship at home could be a good idea but it sometimes it just takes so much work being a taskmaster!